Saturday, March 29, 2008

Week 3: entryway update

Before























After
New rug from Ikea in place. I know it looks wrinkled....I bought it from the as-is room and it needed a wash. I didn't want to put it in the dryer, so I hung it outside in the sun (finally a sunny day in Pittsburgh)...I think it will smooth out in a day or so, but if not, there's always the iron (if I can find it). I think the rug is a bit casual, but it does lighten up the space for the spring. Scrubbed and waxed floor...washed walls. Swapped oil painting by my father (will hang it in the living room) for a print of woman swimming (mostly blue, green and sepia tones). Hung a couple of little things above coathooks. Added blue/green pillow. The area probably needs a dose of bright color, so I'll look around the house for something to add to the table to hold pocket change, and I might hang a mirror somewhere. I would like a new lamp, but not hurrying on that. I would also like to paint the walls a brighter, lighter color, but not hurrying on that either...maybe next spring cure?

In the next month or so, we will install cubbies to the right of the kitchen door (above) and to the right of the front door (below).

Each unit will consist of 2 open lockers with hooks for coats/backpacks to hang, with boxes above and below for shoes, hats, sporting equipment, bike helmets, etc.

Am so eager to conquer the clutter that accumulates in this area every day. It is so nice to walk into a clean hallway. It immediately makes me feel more serene. The smell of freshly waxed floors helps also!
Posted by Picasa


3 comments:

Alana in Canada said...

It looks much fresher! I'm jealous--I don't have that much room for hooks, let alone cubbies. They will be wonderful, though.

I wonder if you would consider lowering that picture so that it looks as if it is resting on the bracket? They just beg to be connected, somehow. Here's an example http://www.marthastewart.com/article/arranging-pictures?lnc=420d9c7cfa2ee010VgnVCM1000003d370a0aRCRD&page=3&rsc=articlecontent_home

Alternatively, if you had a sizeable shell to place on the bracket, that might do it, too.

scb said...

The pictures look like something out of a magazine. Lovely!

Poppy Frock said...

thanks!
Alana, great link and suggestion...I'll adjust the placement & try to find something to put on the bracket.