Thursday, October 18, 2007

if you don't have anything nice to say....(an aside)

I'm feeling bad...not so much because I have an awful head cold and am also taking care of 4 little humans who are also hacking and wheezing, but because I sunk to snarkiness in my comments on some of the entries in the Fall Colors contest. My mother always said (and yours did too) "if you don't have anything nice to say...."you know the rest.

For some odd reason I started feeling like the Nancy Drew of design contests--bothered by some of the contestants' lack of honesty, comments on their own entries, and surreptitious links to other sites, I felt the need to "out" them. In so doing, I ended up just feeling terrible. I apologized for one particular comment that left a nasty taste in my mouth. Don't get me wrong, I don't condone cheating and baseness, but I still don't like the part of me who would feel the need to call them out on it. These contests seem to bring out the inner bitch in me. I'm addicted to peering into peoples' homes, but I didn't enter my own house for good reason...so why am I critical of those who have opened their doors for us all to see?

Still, I'm no MrGreen....though I do miss him.

4 comments:

Alana in Canada said...

I guess it's OK to say that I used to worry about poor patrick (the other one) and how upset he got with Mr. Green.

Didn't see your comments, but I bet they weren't so terrible....not as bad as they can get, that's for sure! But you are right to "call" folks out who are "cheating." Absolutely.

Anne At Large said...

I agree, unless you're moonlighting as Edina Monsoon or snot I think you're still safe. Linking to other websites etc. is clearly forbidden in the rules and it is totally fair to call people out on it. Just take it easy on yourself, it's not that big of a deal.

drwende said...

How did I miss this???

If we're going to separate sheep from goats, the bad person is the one who cheats, not the one who outs the cheater. Expecting people to follow the contest rules is neither mean nor snarky -- that's what rules are for.

drwende said...

Oh -- and if you're purely outing someone for misrepresenting his/her home, that's quite different from being mean about someone's taste.