Monday, September 3, 2007

apartment therapy (the eight-step home cure)

(my messy pre-cure kitchen in all its glory...complete with dirty dishes, cabinets open, stuff on the counters....the real deal!!! No photo-styling or cleaning up for company here, my friend.)

I love this book....it has changed the way I look at my home. And I've become totally addicted to the weblog, www.apartmenttherapy.com! Maxwell Gillingham-Ryan has created a wonderfully simple step-by-step plan for making a space into a home and figuring out how to find your own style within your own budget. Geared toward the apartment dweller, but totally adaptable to the homeowner, the plan is broken down into bite-sized pieces--weekly assignments with a reward at the end. I am so excited to begin this transformative process and start on a journey of creating a truly healthy, happy home.

Another book that has been an inspiration to me to change my life and cure my home: It's All Too Much, by Peter Walsh. Walsh has written an honest, simple book that gets to the heart of why we accumulate clutter and live with more than we need, and how to free our space, mind and life of what we no longer need. The book struck a chord with me, and I spent the summer decluttering my basement and attic and unburdening myself of accumulated posessions. I have a long way to go, but feel good that I've gotten started on the path to a simpler, more satisfying life.

No comments: