Tuesday, September 18, 2007

quiet contemplation....(or mom! what are you sitting there for?)


Today I followed Maxwell's suggestion to sit down in a place in my house where I never sit...I chose the bedroom chair, which though very comfy is usually piled with clothing and harboring an action figure or two. After clearing the chair of its plastic occupants and putting the clean laundry away, I sat....It was hard, especially the silence part.

I am doing the deep treatment cure, but the bedroom is definitely one room I want put a bit more effort into. Besides our mattress, we have never had "real" bedroom furniture, just castoffs and placeholders. It may be wishful thinking, but I really would like to have a romantic, grown-up space for my husband and I to share--where children knock before entering (and wait for the response). A place to retreat for rest and reconnection at the end of the day. I think I'm about done with the family bed thing, and I long for a shred of privacy--maybe it is time to modify our open-door policy.

I developed a mini-list of improvements for the bedroom (don't know if the budget will handle all of them) This was a good exercise in sticking with it, even when it wasn't so easy.

Things I'd like to do now to improve the bedroom:
1. Paint the stark white a more creamy ivory

2. Paint the dark blue a more pale greenish-blue (& maybe add blik iron vines or paint a similar design)--or maybe I should paint the whole room the greenish-blue?

3. Get a headboard for the bed...preferably an upholstered one...diy if need be

4. Clear out some excess furniture

5. Remove the kitchen sink*

6. Reevaluate electronics

7. Hang artwork salon style on one wall

8. Update the bedding and drapery

9. Find the skeleton key that fits the door (and lock it sometimes)

Things I'm currently stuck with:
1. Realism has set in and right now there is no room in our budget for a brand new bed...though as my earlier post indicated we are in desperate need of one. Don't know any other way to achieve that than to save, save, save for one (maybe in time for the spring cure?) Being a SAHM has its drawbacks

2. Dark varnished wood trim & doors. I love the Craftsman trim and original doors elsewhere in the house, but it does make the bedroom seem dark--but it also seems kind of sac-religious to paint it (not to mention the superhuman effort it would take to strip the oil-based varnish--maybe when the kids are grown?)

*Yes, we really do have a kitchen sink in the bedroom--our house was built in the late 20's and the owners were worried they'd need to take in a boarder, so they prepared the room so that it could be a stand alone apartment. The farmhouse-style sink is hidden under a fake highboy looking cabinet, but it takes up a substantial corner of the room. (I must admit it did come in handy for bathing infants.)

1 comment:

Alana in Canada said...

A working sink? That's kind of cool, really.

Have you posted pics of your bedroom?

If you're worried about the room being too dark: just put your blue paint on your "accent" wall--probably behind the bed.

I, too, am so done with the co-sleeping thing. But the seven year old isn't.