Saturday, September 29, 2007

the girl who can't say no....

Well, I haven't made much visible progress during the last two weeks. I have gotten a little bit done: cleaned out the fridge, filled lots of bags up with outgrown childrens' clothing for donation, cleaned out the coat closet....but when you walk in the house, it looks like a disaster!

Here's the thing...I promised myself that I would spend two months on my house, without distraction or making any new commitments. But I lied. In the last three weeks I have spent over 40 hours volunteering in my childrens' school, I have spent over 8 hours volunteering for the toy library, I have hosted a birthday party for 15 five-year-olds, I have committed to chairing a fundraiser, I attended 2 community meetings, I am in the midst of writing the school newsletter...and the list goes on.

See, I have this problem. Like Ado Annie, I just can't say no to others....but I am starting to realize that always saying yes to others means saying no to myself.

2 comments:

Alana in Canada said...

Valuable insight. In fact, it may sve your life. That's a LOT of "outside" work--more than a full-time job. And hosting a party--for teenagers. I think you ought to be crowned a saint!

Can you cut back on your obligations in the next few weeks? This comminity of support for all the housecleaning stuff is a rare gift, really. It won't last much longer.

drwende said...

Do you realize you've just demonstrated that you are your bedroom?

Available for everyone, dumping spot for other people's problems, and always in last place for getting pampering -- I see a match.