Wednesday, September 19, 2007

serendipity!

Yesterday, after my contemplation session, I decided to look for or make an upholstered headboard for the bedroom....Imagine my surprise when I popped into the Salvation Army today to kill some time before picking-up the gang from school and (cue host of angels singing) THERE WAS MY HEADBOARD!!! (Wende, what are the odds?) King-sized, clean, solidly made, nice classic form. Set me back a whopping $9.95! Granted it is currently covered in a pinkish ultrasuede (not my thing at all) but will be so incredibly easy to recover it....now decision time!

How should I interpret my inspiration photos in the room?

The givens....
1. The bed has to stay in front of the window.
2. I want to use Alana's suggestion to extend the drapery to the width of the bed.
3. To do that, I must purchase (or make) new drapery& hardware.
4. I will cover the headboard.
5. I will paint the room.

My initial thoughts....
1. Paint all the walls the pale bluish-green.
2. Use flax color for drapes and some of the bed linens.
3. Use some deeper turquoise for other bed linens.
4. Boldly go where I have never gone before and use YELLOW! for the headboard? And add other bits of yellow throughout the room with accessories & artwork?

I currently don't own any yellow things, but I realized (with props to Alana) that it is a common thread throughout the inspiration rooms in my style tray. And I have recently been caught drooling over the images in Jess2NOLA's blog black.white.yellow.

Does it seem too much of a whim to use yellow for the headboard, since I have just discovered my lust for it? Am I over-thinking this? Do I over-think almost everything?

12 comments:

zooza said...

Whims are great. Go yellow with that headboard! If you don't have any yellow things at the moment, you've got to start somewhere. I think it's a great idea.

Alana in Canada said...

I'm going to say no to the yellow headboard. It's not the sort of thing you'll change easily or quicky, so you'll be stuck with it. Can we see more shots of the room? What kind of light do you get? Do you want a cozy nest or a cheery place to rejuvenate? I found a pic of the type of drapery I was thinking about:
(I hope the link works) http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/photo/091307nicole/00028_L
I'd prefer darker panels on either side, and fuller, but that's just me. See the pillow on this bed though? That should be yellow in your case. Since you hang out at Sally Anne, I bet you'll find some yellow things: what about lamp bases?
You need to start collecting a few samples--paint chips will do, of the type of yellow and teal you're going to combine. Do you want a strong mustardy yellow? A softer, more daffodil yellow? Or a buttercup? I'm facing the same decisions. I'm going to have a blue wall in my dining room (it has just a hint of green in it) and so I'm going to wait until it's actually on the walls before I pick my yellow. Here's a good site for looking at rooms in colour combos: http://www.housebeautiful.com/pictures/
There's lots more at other magazine sites. Happy hunting and Congrats on your awesome find!

Colleen said...

I love yellow, but I share salan's fear that the yellow headboard will be too much and too difficult to change. I would fo with a more neutral headboard and add yellow with pillows and accessories.

Style Noir said...

No need to fear yellow-- or any other rich, vivid color. Contrary to plebeian belief, vivacity-- whether it be in the form of a wild color, a striking piece of furniture, or a va-va-voom dress-- goes with everything. Everything.

Clinging to neutrality is tantamount to eating the same meal for dinner every night-- bad for the soul.

Mella DP said...

With the caveat that I don't care for yellow - only if your husband has no reservations. (You're married, right? Or am I getting people confused?) I just know if someone made me sleep under something big and yellow I'd feel like an omelet filling. But again, I don't like yellow that much.

On the other hand, a lot of the yellows in your inspiration pics aren't super bright. A milder yellow could be easier to work, if that's what you wanted. And of course, padded headboards aren't generally hard to recover, so it wouldn't have to be permanent as long as you can trust yourself to change it if you don't like it.

phillippa said...

Yes! I agree with Mella. Choose yellow, but something mild and soft. All your style pictures show beautiful airy, calm & soothing shades. Try a yellow like that.

drwende said...

Given your Style Tray images, I'm with Sadia on embracing yellow. Your ST says you're crying out for bright, clear, vivacious colors.

The only way I'd possibly soothe it down is to go with a geometric or damask that is a bright yellow on a soft yellow.

drwende said...

(Oh, and the odds of your perfect headboard finding you on a whimsical trip to the thrift store are very high -- I firmly believe that when the right furniture is ready, it calls out to you until you come and get it. If it's not ready, you can go to every store in town with no success.

Alas, stock picks don't do this. Only furniture.)

Jamey said...

i say go with the yellow! you said yourself that it would be easy to recover. if you have the skills to reupholster it, i believe that you could also make a simple slipcover for the headboard as well if you wanted the flexibility to change it out to a neutral. a designer in budget living did that once. if you want bold yellow, do that. your linens can be the neutral. of course i do live in a yellow and blue house and have a huge painting with bold yellow in my living room.

Jamey said...

and check here on stylecourt. acutally search for yellow on stylecourt.

http://stylecourt.blogspot.com/2007/06/speaking-of-yellow.html

Alana in Canada said...

Great blog, Jamey.
I give up. Go Bold--save your soul!
It'll be fine. Those examples on the blog Jamey provided are fantastic. (And I am the one painting my kitchen chairs in four different colours.) I was just responding to your "surprise" at discovering your preference for yellow. Thought you might rather dip your toe--but hey, plunge in if you'd rather. It's totally up to you!

Jessica said...

GO YELLOW!!!

Despite the name of my blog, I was never a huge yellow fan...but I realized that yellow accents were infused throughout my inspiration books, so I decided to embrace it...and it turned out well...

And I disagree that it would be difficult to change if later you decide to go with another pallette. If that is what makes you happy then you should go for it...